SILVER SPRING, MD – April 11, 2013 – As was reported in a recent edition of The Motley Fool, obesity is costing us big time! Since 1960, the number of obese Americans has tripled. What? Tripled, yes!! And six times more Americans are now extremely obese than 50 years ago. Unfortunately, everyone is paying for this obesity epidemic. How much? Here are 10 shocking numbers related to the costs of obesity:
- $190 billion -- That's the amount of added medical costs every year that are estimated to stem from obesity-related problems. It’s nearly 21% of total U.S. health care costs.
- 105% -- According to a study conducted by the Brookings Institution, this is the increased amount that obese Americans pay for prescription drugs compared to individuals who aren't obese.
- $3.4 billion -- Cars are burning around 938 million gallons of gasoline per year more than they would if Americans weighed what they did in 1960.
- $164 billion -- The Society of Actuaries estimates that U.S. employers are losing this amount in productivity each year due to obesity-related issues with employees.
- $6.4 billion -- Every year, this amount is estimated to be lost due to employee absenteeism related to obesity.
- $1 billion -- U.S. airlines are consuming an extra 350 million gallons of fuel per year due to overweight passengers.
- $14.3 billion -- This is how much childhood obesity costs the U.S. each year, according to a published study from the Brookings Institution.
- $62 billion -- Medicare and Medicaid are spending nearly this amount every year on obesity-related costs.
- $66 billion -- Columbia University researchers say that if current trends don't change, annul obesity-related medical costs in the U.S. could increase this amount by 2030.
- $580 billion -- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation predicts that annual economic productivity loss due to obesity could hit this staggering amount by 2030 unless the current situation changes.
“These are bills that we can’t afford to pay,” said Jim Baugh, founder of PHIT America, a cause designed to create a Movement for a Fit and Healthy America. “PHIT America has solutions to helping the U.S. overcome the obesity epidemic. It all starts with regular physical activity and getting daily PE back in schools. You will soon read about new eye opening research findings that lack of exercise Is the main culprit in startling rise of childhood obesity.
Plus, our website – PHITAmerica.org – has a Participation Database for the general public, which offers ways to become active and fit in more than 50 different sports or fitness activities. It’s as simple as ‘putting play in your life every day.’ Play a sport, join a team, or start going to a fitness class. Say goodbye to a sedentary lifestyle. Your life does depend on it!”