To monitor and report on the progress of 10 and Under Tennis, the USTA has created a “Dashboard,” which sets 2012 goals and tracks the initiative across various categories.
“While our ‘Dashboard’ may be new this year, we’ve been tracking our progress throughout the last few years,” says Scott Schultz, the USTA’s managing director for Youth Tennis. “For 10 and Under Tennis, 2011 was a tremendous year. The industry really pulled together and we had major growth in every category.”
Some of the key results from last year include:
- 4,371 facilities registered as 10 and Under Tennis providers in 2011, an increase of 209% from 1,414 in 2010.
- 3,444 36- and 60-foot courts were lined or built last year, nearly a 400% increase over 2010. Since the inception of the 10 and Under Tennis initiative, 5,006 smaller courts have been lined or built.
- Sales of the red, orange and green balls used for 10 and Under Tennis reached nearly 3.29 million. Before the 10 and Under Tennis initiative, balls sales in this category were less than 50,000 per year.
- The number of kids registered for and playing competitive events (USTA
tournaments, USTA Junior Team Tennis, and Play Days) went from 15,308 in 2008 to 64,354 in 2011, an increase of 320%
“For 2012, we’ve set aggressive goals,”Schultz says. “Kids Tennis Clubs and Play Days are our highest priorities because we believe we need to build the base of kids that can play tennis, before they transition into more formal competition such at tournaments and team tennis.”
New goals have been established for this year’s 10 and Under Tennis dashboard, which has national objectives and metrics that go into detail for each section and each market. National goals for 2012 include:
- 2,500 Qualified registered organizers/facilites on 10andundertennis.com
- 3,200 Permanent 36' and 60' courts or lines
- 600 USTA Kids Tennis Clubs
- 2,000 10 and Under Tennis Play Days
- 13,500 Unique Participants in USTA Tournaments
- 21,300 Unique Participants in JTT
- 11,850 attendees at 10 and Under Tennis training workshops
- 3,781,432 sales of red,orange, and green balls.