Name: ATAAZ Adult Academy
Location: Kyrene Aprende Middle School
Ladies, Men, Both Ladies and Men
Day of Week:
Start Date: 05/13/2013
Duration: 4 Week Program
Contact Person: Michael McDowell
Contact Phone: (480) 986-1310
This unique program for adults is patterned after our junior academy program. The primary goals are to create a flexible and affordable option for adults to work on their games in a systematic way.
- Schedule: Morning clinics are offered Monday-Friday and evening lessons are held Monday-Thursday.
- Cost: The fee for the morning program is $70 and the evening session is $60. However, players may register for as few as one lesson. Players are encouraged to attend as frequently as fits their schedules each week. For players who come frequently the cost can be as little as $3-4 for a 1.5 hour clinic. Regardless of how many times you attend, the cost is never more than $10 per lesson.
- Format: Clinics consist of one hour on court training followed by a 30 minute “chalk talk.”
The on court portion of the clinic focuses on:
- Strategies and tactics for singles and doubles.
- Technical aspects of strokes and movement. For example, appropriate grips, stances, swing paths, footwork patterns, etc.
- Hitting progressions (Dropped ball, tossed ball, fed ball & ball machine) to practice techniques.
- Drills and exercises to help players develop strokes as well as understand how to use them to attack and defend in match play.
- Many of the practices will involve stations -- allowing players greater flexibility in deciding what they want to practice on a given day. Every effort will be made to work with the player to customize the experience to the individuals game and learning style.
During the final 30 minutes of the clinic, we will:
- Use high speed video (240-300 fps) to see top pros performing strokes and tactics. Identify key positions and fundamental movements these players use in their matches.
- Practice these essential elements with shadow tennis routines and proprioception exercises designed to help you find the feel of high level strokes and movement patterns.
- Discuss mental game and how players either give themselves an advantage or undermine themselves by their mental approach before, during and after matches and practices.
- Consider how to prepare physically to play our best tennis – for example, avoiding injury through pre-hab, improving performance with better nutrition and hydration as well as training in a tennis specific fashion.
Other future program dates: